Dental malpractice is negligent practices by dental health care professionals. Negligence may occur not only during dental procedures but also when a dentist fails to notice additional health problems.
Some situations that have resulted in dental malpractice claims include:
- Failure to detect and diagnose oral cancer or periodontal disease
- Nerve damage inflicted to the lips, jaw or tongue
- Incorrect crown and bridge prostheses
- Infection as a result of improper use of dental tools
- Wrongful death as a result of anesthesia
In some cases, a malpractice claim results from a dental professional intentionally taking advantage of insurance compensation. In these cases, a dentist will follow through with unnecessary exams and dental procedures in order to collect higher compensation.