Modifying child support

An order for child support can be changed or modified any time there is a “material change in circumstances” from the time the existing child support was issued. A change in circumstances can take many forms: a change in the parent’s financial situation (e.g., a substantial difference in the amount of income earned, loss of a job, a large inheritance), a change in the amount of time spent with the child or a change in the child’s situation (e.g., medical expenses, the need for special education). A child support payment could be modified by requirement between the parents or by a court hearing.